Fire razed one of the hostels of Federal Government Girls’ College, Efon Alaaye in Ekiti State on Monday.
The fire which started at about noon raged for few hours consuming the students’ personal effects like clothes, books and provisions. No life was lost in the incident.
Also consumed by the inferno are mattresses, cupboards, curtains and some facilities with over 150 students losing their personal belongings.
It was reported that the fire incident might have been caused by power surge as faulty electricity in the dormitory was rectified the previous day.
The fire which razed the Favour Integrity Hostel was said to have started from the ceiling.
All the students in the hostel are left with just single uniforms, as other uniforms and personal clothes had been burnt.
The students have called on the Federal Government to come to their aid.
The school authorities called men of Fire Service from Ado-Ekiti, the state capital and nearby Ilesa in Osun State but their vehicles could not gain access into the school because of the hilly topography.
Lack of access to the school compound by the firemen gave the inferno a free reign razing the dormitory and materials inside.
The Alaaye of Efon, Oba Emmanuel Aladejare, who paid a sympathy visit to the school, was there for over three hours.
School authorities declined comments and even prevented journalists from covering the incident.